Portfile Workflow Advice

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Tue Jan 15 22:59:50 PST 2013

On Jan 15, 2013, at 11:18 PM, Sean Farley <sean at macports.org <javascript:;>>
wrote:

> [...]
completely up-to-date results every time.

>>> It's manual but cindex updates itself in ~7s (depending on the number
>>> of changed files) for me and is more than just macports (it's all my
>>> code on my hard drive, in fact). I usually run it after pulling new
>>> changes. But really, for me at least, code doesn't change fast enough
>>> for me to care about hitting false-postives or whatnot; plus what I'm
>>> usually searching for is an example so all I really want is the
>>> location of a handful of files.
>>
>> That is true.
>
> Side note: search all projects comes in really handy when working with
> dependencies (i.e. definitions / examples would sometimes live in
> another project's root).

I *think* you only get false negatives for  modified files. (It seams to
search the files it selects as containing a match for the actual matches.)

A cron job every night is the easy way to reindex for large source trees.
[1] You can always kick of a manual refresh if you are looking for more
recent changes. Works wonderfully for finding what ports (beyond what is
installed and reported by rdependentof) depend upon the one I'm currently
breaking.

   - Eric

[1]
http://code.google.com/p/codesearch/source/browse/cmd/cindex/cindex.go#38