Double port: scapy

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 07:48:10 PST 2013

On 2013-01-16 16:20, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
> Hello list,
> I just noticed that we have two ports for scapy, one named scapy and the
> other named py26-scapy. Should we:
> - create a unified portfile named py-scapy
> - delete py26-scapy
> - mark scapy replaced_by py27-scapy (since scapy is based on python27 at
> the moment)
> or:
> -mark py26-scapy replaced_by scapy
>
> I personally like the second alternative, since it's an application and
> not just a module (it installs a script in ${prefix}/bin), but looking
> at ports like ipython and simpy, maybe the first is preferable.

I'm with you and would prefer the second alternative for such tools.

ipython is a little bit different since you might want to use the
interactive shell for a specific version of python and there is a
benefit of having these different versions installed in parallel.
py*-ipython also supports 'port select'.

I don't know simpy, but it does not look like there is any tool in this
port – at least no files ends up at bin/*. The included SimGUI.py seems
to be a basic example only and is marked deprecated. So that's okay to
be ported as py*-simpy.

Rainer