[101627] trunk/dports/python/py-spyder-devel/Portfile

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 10:23:34 PST 2013

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2013, at 00:21, Eric A. Borisch wrote:
> > Ok. I kind like the date formatted ones (has more information encoded in
> it than '1') and they seem to meet the "only requirements" from the guide.
> But if minimal bumps are desired, so be it.
>
> But it doesn't encode any information, at least, not any that the user can
> rely upon.

I disagree - the trivial information it encoded (for me, the port
maintainer) is when the epoch was last changed. Certainly SVN blame (or
praise) can provide the same information. If whitespace changes happen
later, svn blame may require you to parse back a few levels, but you can
still dig it out.

Trivial? Yes. Useless? Debatable. None of any use to anyone? No.

And I'm not the only one who thinks so -- see python3[23] and py-tkinter /
py-gdbm for an example complete with a comment re:why. There 30+ ports that
are currently in a date-based epoch, for better or for worse.

Thanks,
  Eric