Github Group

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 13:04:59 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> At 2:17 PM -0600 1/16/13, Sean Farley wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to revisit and close this ticket I started almost a year ago:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33889
>>
>> I think it'll suffice to check for a tarball download + an empty tag
>> prefix + len(version) > 12. A hash can be looked up at any length as
>> long as it's match is unique, therefore the length of 12 is a soft
>> requirement. I didn't pull it out of thin air, though; it's from an
>> early version of git / mercurial of making 12 a lower bound until
>> better algorithms arose.
>>
>> Does this sound ok? If so, then I can commit my changes and close the
>> ticket.
>

> Hi Sean:
>
> My mythtv-core.25 and mythweb.25 ports use 8 character short hashs. The Myth
> project commonly refers to commits using just 8 chars.  It would make my
> life simpler if I didn't have to tack on the extra 4.

That's understandable but this would only affect the livecheck … which
is not happening anyways for any portfile that uses a hash. So, at
worst you don't gain any new (automatic) livechecking.

Bitbucket recently switched from 12 to 6 but I've been sticking with
12 since 6 is too close to the length of "1.2.3". A length of 8
already runs afoul with py-matplotlib since they use versions as
"1.2.0rc3". They *happen* to prefix their versions with "v" but if
they didn't then this livecheck would report the wrong thing.

Alternatively, we could just check the rss feed if there's no match on
the tags page. Is there an easy way to have a failover for livechecks?
Searching through other portfiles seems to indicate 'no'.