gcc and xgetbv

vincent habchi vince at macports.org
Fri Jan 25 05:15:02 PST 2013

On 25 janv. 2013, at 04:02, Michael Dickens <michaelld at macports.org> wrote:

> but, this code does not compile using MacPorts' gcc 4.7; it errors out
> with "no such instruction: `xgetbv'". Apple's clang compiles this code
> without the #if, but it errors out when running with "Illegal
> instruction: 4".  Ditto for MacPorts' clang 3.1.

Two things:

1. You’ll never get any AVX instruction out of GCC compilers, because they all rely on the Apple provided /usr/bin/as which is hoary and do not know about new opposes like AVX;

2. AVX means Sandy Bridge processors. I am not sure, but I’d bet your MacBook has a Core 2 Duo Penryn which is one generation older.

Vincent