Geant4 Licence and binary distributability

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Jul 7 11:07:48 PDT 2013

Hi,

I need some help with the Geant4 licence. Currently the string
"Geant4" is used for the following licence:
    http://geant4.cern.ch/license/LICENSE.htm

The first trivial question and not a really important one is that:
    port lint --nitpick science/*
reports
    Error: invalid license 'Geant4': missing hyphen before version
I know that this is not something that I should really worry about,
but if anyone has something to add, comments are welcome. (Should
licence be renamed? Should nitpick be more tolerant? Should I simply
ignore this?)

The second question for someone more familiar with the licensing: does
the above text allow binary distribution?

And finally: In case it does, does MacPorts core need any additional
code to recognise the licence as free? Bradley Giesbrecht suggested to
use "permissive" licence rather than "Geant4" to allow binary
packages.

Thank you,
    Mojca