Macports Tcl

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Jul 8 16:51:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 07:19:38PM -0400, Mark Anderson wrote:
> I kind of like the idea Ryan was talking about where we build using a
> portfile or something, and then squirrel the files away someplace away
> from the main install.

So we have to create a script that will relocate an installed Tcl 8.6
port into a new directory (e.g. /opt/local/lib/macports/Tcl)? Which
variants of the tcl port that we currently have will work for this? What
happens if a user installs a different variant? How do we solve the
bootstrapping problem for users who want to build from source? Should we
use a framework build of Tcl or not? How do we handle changes in the Tcl
port? Re-run this step on every selfupdate?

I think it might be easier to write a script that will download and
install a proper Tcl version completely separate from MacPorts and call
./configure --with-tcl.

--
Clemens Lang