Macports Tcl

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sat Jul 13 11:44:26 PDT 2013

On Jul 13, 2013, at 2:31 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard <jordan.hubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2013, at 6:53 AM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> Bootstrapping from source would be weird, for one. I suppose we'd bundle Tcl with the source, install using that one, install the Tcl port, and reinstall off of the port? It sounds gross, but it would only have to happen for the initial install. (Tcl is probably the only dependency we'd have to do this with, since the bootstrap install could probably use the system libraries for everything else.)
>
> If you're bundling Tcl (or any other dependencies) with the macports sources, why would you need to reinstall from the port?  You might very well choose to create more minimal deployments of Tcl/Curl/... to embed in /Library/MacPorts and what's in the port would be orthogonal in such a case.

I was assuming that it would be desirable to run MacPorts from the tcl(86?) port, which could then be updated by the usual means rather than by new, separate code that specially handles bundled software.

If updating isn't a concern (i.e., MacPorts x.y.z comes bundled with Tcl a.b.c, end of story), then running from the port loses that advantage.

vq