Failed compilation of libcerf: any hints?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Jul 17 09:24:05 PDT 2013

On 2013-7-18 01:09 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> On 2013-7-17 22:42 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I took the liberty to submit my first port to SVN, libcerf, which will
>>> also be the dependency of (one of) the next version(s) of gnuplot. I
>>> hope that is OK. The buildbot for Snow Leopard reports an error, but
>>> I'm unable to interpret it myself. Any hints or help are welcome. The
>>> wiki seems down, so maybe that is somehow related.
>>>
>>> https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-snowleopard-x86_64/builds/18815
>>
>> <https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-snowleopard-x86_64/builds/18815/steps/compile/logs/stdio/text>
>> says:
>> w_of_z.c:84:40: error: imaginary constants are a GCC extension
>>
>> So it looks like it shouldn't be using -pedantic and -Werror together.
>
> The author replied (please CC him if you have any further questions):
>
> 2013/7/17 j.wuttke:
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/c99status.html is pretty clear:
>>
>> complex (and imaginary) support in <complex.h> => Broken
>>
>> - Joachim

Separate to the issue of complex support being broken in gcc-4.2, it's
still bad to use -pedantic and -Werror with this code. Imaginary
constants really are a GNU extension, i.e. not allowed in the ISO C99
standard:

<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Complex.html>

The -pedantic option causes warnings to be issued for any code that does
not conform to ISO C. The -Werror option causes all warnings to become
errors. Thus, using these two options together when compiling code that
uses any GNU extension will cause the compilation to fail.

- Josh