[108385] trunk/dports/gis/gdal/Portfile

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jul 30 20:17:13 PDT 2013

On 2013-7-31 00:49 , Landon J Fuller wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Vincent Habchi <vince at macports.org
> <mailto:vince at macports.org>> wrote:
>
>> Exactly. The idea I had is that the users that want their ports to be
>> compiled and optimized for their machine should add the +perf variant
>> in variants.conf. Since +perf is never enabled by default, this would
>> never result in the fetching of the pre-compiled binaries. What do you
>> think?

It should clear out archive_sites to be correct, since we want to build
some non-default variants in future, and third party archive sources can
provide whatever variants they want.

> I'm concerned that the net performance gain here is going to be far
> outweighed by the maintenance costs and user complexity. Without
> actually measuring the gains, there's no guarantee that these changes
> will actually improve performance, and in moving away from the
> optimization flags et al selected by the original developers, could very
> possibly trigger bugs in code generation output (e.g., compiler bugs,
> especially with bleeding-edge clang), or reveal bugs in the project that
> aren't apparent at lower optimization levels.

Certainly this variant should be restricted to ports that demonstrably
*need* maximum performance for some class of users, do in fact gain
significant performance with those settings, and still pass their test
suites.

- Josh