KDE instructions

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 14:11:46 PST 2013

On 06/03/2013, at 1:27 AM, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
>> 1. Do we need the kde-i18n- ports?
>
> As these ports are from the kde3 suite, I would say they are as relevant as any KDE 3 port.

Understood.

>> 2. Do we need the KDE 3 ports?
>
> </snip>
> It seems there is indeed not much left which uses kde 3, when looking at the status of most ports, though.

Thanks for your detailed analysis of the situation, Nicolas.  Very helpful.

All I can think of is a few games that never got converted to KDE 4, such as
KSokoban.  I think most of those have been replaced, e.g. KSirtet ==> KBlocks
for Tetris enthusiasts.  And KOffice ==> Calligra, as you noted.

>> 3. Does MacPorts delete KDE users' data files when it uninstalls/re-installs?
>
> I don't think Macports deletes these files, at least most of them. Macports only uninstalls
> the files copied during installation, not the files created at runtime by the application.
> If you run "port contents <appname>", the <appname>rc file will not show up, neither
> the files in ~/Library/KDE.

I'll do some tests when I have time.  I certainly had some home-made jigsaw files go
missing and have not found out why, but they are easy to re-create … :-)

Cheers, Ian W.