deactivate hack in PortfileRecipes?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Mar 6 06:59:03 PST 2013

On 2013-3-6 12:38 , Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2013, at 7:56 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> to avoid this confusion next time, I had documented the deactivate hack
>> and explained when and why it is needed as well as how it works:
>>  http://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#deactivatehack
>
> Ergh. The work is appreciated, of course, but that recipe gets extremely technical. Is it really necessary (or desirable) for a portfile recipe to dig that deeply into the internals?

It is necessary to explain at least some of the implementation details
if the reader is to understand what the code is actually doing and why.
Depending on implementation details that code at the portfile level
should not depend on or even need to know about is why it's a hack, of
course.

BTW, your replacement text is unclear regarding the array indices, since
most people don't think in zero-indexed terms.

- Josh