Updating PortGroups Versus Base

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Mar 6 08:56:58 PST 2013

>   We're currently implementing a lot of things in PortGroups that
>   should probably be added to base in some way, and having the
>   internals around would simplify doing that.

In a way, the PortGroups allow us to avoid making frequent releases, as changes can be implemented temporarily as a PortGroup. That's just a side effect of how we use them, though.

We have no milestones presently, so our roadmap is rather goalless.

Perhaps a milestone for the next release can be adding the ability to sanely handle these PortGroup/base ambiguities. Once base can differentiate what it has available (people who have updated) versus what it needs to rely on in the PortGroups (people who haven't updated) yet, then we can cull pieces from PortGroups at the usual two weeks or simply as they increment their PortGroup versions.

We also have one high priority ticket ready for a release:
http://trac.macports.org/query?status=closed&group=resolution&milestone=MacPorts+Future