Submission: klusters

MK-MacPorts at techno.ms MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Thu Mar 14 00:39:54 PDT 2013

Hi Ian,

On Mar 14, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Ian Wadham wrote:
> Is it possible to do something similar on Macports and remove the "conflicts with"
> restriction on KDE 3 and Qt 3, or is there some more fundamental problem, such
> as qt4-mac is native to Mac OS X desktop and qt3 is not?
a while back KDE3 worked fine with X11.app on my Snow Leopard, but now it's not building anymore for me.

> It seems there are some people who still want to use the KDE 3 and Qt 3 libraries for
> their 3rd party apps, though I think the "standard" KDE 3 and Qt 3 apps have almost
> all been superseded by Qt 4 and KDE 4 versions.  For those people still using Qt 3
> and KDE 3 libraries, porting apps to KDE 4 and Qt 4 is indeed a large task.  Been
> there, done that ... see my white hair … :-(
Hmmm, I guess you would need some dedicated people to keep KDE3 up and running on MacPorts.
It's hard enough to get response from upstream in case of KDE4 - which is being actively developed - but KDE3 is not supported anymore!
So a functional KDE3 would be a dimension harder to achieve.

I had a long while back always the port kmymoney for KDE3 as a fallback solution in case kmymoney4(-devel) could not be built for some reason.
But I think I haven't really started KDE3's kmymoney version 1.0.5 since about 2 years anymore.
I consider KDE3 as obsolete. There are only to tickets in trac for kdelibs3 and less than a dozen interested people on their CC lists!

But well, I have no idea whatsoever how many people actually are using KDE[34] on MacPorts after all, but I figure the total number of KDE users is probably very very small… And I have the feeling the majority goes for KDE4 anyway.

Abandoning KDE3 would save us additional grey hair! ;-)
But, of course, if there would be someone out there with enough capacity to dive into kdelibs3 and fix it… That would certainly be much better!!!

Greets,
Marko