GSoC 2013: Call for Mentors

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Mar 19 16:58:09 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-18 22:45, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> I am going to submit an application on behalf of The MacPorts Project
> for the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) program 2013. I think most of
> you have already heard of it: Google pays students to work on various
> Open Source projects over the summer. It is also a good start for
> students with Open Source development. As you may recall, Clemens
> joined us after successfully completing his GSoC project to create
> rev-upgrade for MacPorts.

Great! Thank you for taking care of the coordination of the organization
application this year again. Also thanks to Clemens for taking the
backup administrator role.

> First, we need to apply to Google to be accepted as an mentoring
> organization. Our full application cannot presently be viewed on
> their website, however you can see a summary
> <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/macports>.
> Our full application is available in our wiki:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeOrgApplication

I made some minor edits just now. Did you make sure this is already
based on the latest form provided by Google this year?

> Also, if you have a specific idea what could be improved in MacPorts,
> but you never had the time to do it yourself, please put a proposal
> on our ideas page. Clemens and I are clearing up the list and there
> are still interesting and important projects on it. And we need
> mentors for these, of course.
>
> Ideas page: http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode

We really could use some new ideas! Note that this just needs to be an
idea, not a fully thought-out plan yet. It just needs to be something
students might be willing to work on this summer. The details of the
proposal for a project may be worked out by them as well.

And as a side note, the result should be something useful that is
integrated into our infrastructure by the end of the summer (before the
student disappears). I don't want to see yet another rewrite of MPWA
being sponsored that never gets deployed...

I already added myself as a mentor on the wiki page. Also for those who
are new to this and not sure if they want to mentor a student: in the
past years it was possible to take the role as an additional co-mentor
of a student. This allows to get a good insight into the
responsibilities of a mentor in this program and also gives the student
more than one person to talk to. Mentors also get a cool T-Shirt from
Google each year! :-)

Rainer