hpc gfortran

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Sun Mar 24 09:45:39 PDT 2013

I know I've brought this up before but I'd like to get some resolution
on the following issues,

1) HPC gfortran

Due to a lack of a standalone gfortran compiler, most users that need it
seem to go to hpc.sourceforge.net and download the version there. This
is all kinds of unwanted behavior that could be fixed with a standalone
gfortran port.

2) clang + fortran

Clang is the only compiler suite so far that has no fortran
component. There is dragonegg but that also has its own c compiler. The
de facto standard for a (free) fortran compiler seems to have fallen to
gfortran. So, the issue here that I see is when a port wants the clang
compiler + a fortran compiler. Currently, in macports it is up to the
portfile author to decide to use the default c compiler or to use gcc4X
(as opposed to letting the user decide).

3) compiler wrappers

So far, this only applies to MPI but it could also apply to packages
like TAU [1]. When a package depends on MPI, the standard implies there
will be at least mpicc and mpifc. Again, the issue here could be solved
with a standalone gfortran port.

Having a standalone gfortran compiler would be able to solve (1-3)
but I haven't gotten good feedback on that so far. So, I'm asking the
macports devs for some ways to solve the above issues that everyone
would be comfortable with.

Thanks for the feedback!

[1] http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tau/home.php