hpc gfortran

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 15:58:19 PDT 2013

Chris Jones writes:

>>> What do you mean by this exactly? What is the problem with e.g.
>>>
>>> depends_build port:gcc47
>>> configure.fc ${prefix}/bin/gfortran-mp-4.7
>>> ?
>>
>> Then what does configure.fc get set to in the +clang variant?
>
> Why would you provide a +clang variant in the case of a port that has to use fortran ? Just blacklist any compiler other than a MacPorts gcc compiler, that has gfortran. Or am I missing something.

1) Because any port that relies on mpi will get a version of mpicc that is
built with clang and has no corresponding fortran compiler.

2) Since clang is the new default with Apple, there is great interest in
the scientific community for building the c part with clang and the
fortran part with gfortran.

3) If you have a port that depends on boost and fortran, then with your
suggestion there will be ABI issues with the C++ libraries.