Webkit-gtk3 or webkit-gtk-devel?

Guido Soranzio guido.soranzio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 00:18:43 PDT 2013

WebKitGTK+ 2.0.0 has been released and many patches of the current
port aren't needed anymore. Gtk+3 and GObject Introspection are
well supported and I think that MacPorts shouldn't disable them
by default from now on.

Gtk-OSX, which is based on the official JHBuild scripts, offers two
different modulesets, "meta-gtk-osx-webkit" and "meta-gtk-osx-webkit-gtk3"
(<https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/tree/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx-unsupported.modules>),
but it seems a cumbersome solution.

MacPorts could simply use the suffix "-devel" to label all the ports
supporting Gtk3 and GObject Introspection. We will never see Mutter and
the whole Gnome 3 desktop running on the Mac but it could be feasible,
however, experiment with some new interesting stuff like the
bindings to JavaScriptCore and SpiderMonkey (Gjs). I tried do compile
also Seed (based on WebKit, not Mozilla) and it is working fine already.

Guido

--
https://github.com/gui-dos/Guigna