questions on "test" phase and variant dependency

David Strubbe dstrubbe at gmail.com
Thu May 2 20:53:14 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I have two questions about Portfile development.

I saw in the guide that there is a "test" phase that can be defined with
test.run, test.cmd, test.target. But the information there is quite
minimal. How is this intended to be used? It seems to me that it does not
run when a port is being installed, only if you do 'port test', and that it
does an independent build, not using one that may have been installed
already, which I find somewhat surprising. How is the result of the test
supposed to be reported after the run?

I am trying to make a port that depends on netcdf-fortran. The Fortran mod
files installed by netcdf-fortran (as always) are dependent on compiler and
even compiler version, so it is necessary for my port and netcdf-fortran to
both use the same compiler version, e.g. gcc46. How can this be requested
or checked in the Portfile? If they do not match, the configure step will
fail in a not particularly informative manner.

Thanks,
David