[106554] trunk/dports

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri May 31 12:02:04 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:21:24AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I had kind of hoped we weren't going to update icu until after
> MacPorts 2.2 had been released because of the library overlinking
> issue and all of the revision increases this necessitates.
> https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2013-February/021943.html

We should get this change out of the door sooner than later, yes.
Regarding the ICU update, there's not much we can do now – the damage is
done, the rev-bumps will have to trickle in now anyway.

Avoiding updates because of the necessary revbumps sounds like a broken
concept to me, though. For the same reasons we could stop updating
libpng or openjpeg. If revbumps are such a hassle, we should try
automating them as much as possible, e.g. but keeping track of the
linking or modifying rev-upgrade in a way that will do them as quickly
and easily as possible.

If you want this change out there, push 2.2 or backport the change and
release 2.1.4, but delaying updates until an unknown future date doesn't
sound like a good idea to me.

--
Clemens Lang