Questions on dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 12:58:10 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 14:55, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think you can say depends_run means 'only depends on programs' unless we specifically define it to mean that (I can think of a case where something doesn't link with a library or plugin, but loads it at runtime).
>>
>> I didn’t say that. I said perhaps we should make “depends_lib” mean that it depends on (i.e. links with) a library. That doesn’t seem so unreasonable.
>
> the quoted sentence indicates:
>
> 1. depends_lib == linked to it (needs revbump)
> 2. depends_build/depends_run == only needs its programs.
>
> I'm saying that unless we define depends_build/depends_run as only pertaining to programs, that 2 isn't necessarily true (an application can have a runtime dependency on a library or plugin that it loads at runtime but isn't linked with).

Sorry if I was unclear. My only proposal is:

depends_lib should mean that a port links with another port’s library, such that it needs a revbump if that port’s library version increases

If you link with another port’s library, use depends_lib

If you do not link with another port’s library, do not use depends_lib