[112798] trunk/dports/archivers/upx/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 13:33:40 PDT 2013

Well, this is the reason I haven’t touched it. It was convenient to have a port providing “perl”, “pod2man”, etc. The “port select” mechanism is what we decided we wanted to use, but that it was for a user’s convenience, and that ports cannot rely on a user having chosen any particular version. Lots of configure scripts and build systems will try to use “perl”, “pod2man”, etc. If we switch perl to use “port select” and get rid of the perl5 port’s symlinks to MacPorts versions of those, then those build systems will fall back to using the OS X versions of those programs. That might be fine. If not — if a program requires a newer perl — then the dependency can be updated and the build system patched.