[112798] trunk/dports/archivers/upx/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 13:43:42 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 15:40, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> I clearly misunderstood your last comment on the ticket:
>
>> Some time has passed, and subports now solve this part of the problem. Are there any remaining reasons why we should not remove the perl5 port and add the perl_select port as suggested? We would of course need to find all ports depending on the perl5 port and change them to depend on a specific perl port.
>
> It sounds like we can’t and shouldn't remove dependencies on perl5.
>
> But we can’t rely on port:perl5 because there’s no real variant enforcement going on. Doesn’t requesting perl5 with one variant then again with a different variant effectively switch it out from under a port just like port select would?

Yes. But perl5 provided the files. A port could depend on bin:perl:perl5 and be assured that, if for some reason /usr/bin/perl did not exist, then the perl5 port would be installed and it would then provide /opt/local/bin/perl. The difference with “port select” is that there is no port that would provide /opt/local/bin/perl so there is no way to declare a dependency on it that could be satisfied by a port.