[112798] trunk/dports/archivers/upx/Portfile

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Nov 1 14:08:22 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2013, at 15:38, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> Or we could stop with the silliness and just have the perl5 port install the current (stable) perl5 (which is 5.18.1 right now). We could simplify the p5-* ports to just work with the current perl5, and IFF there is an actual need for an older perl, we can have a separate port for it...
>
> Yes, we could go back to that again, like we had years ago.

we never would have switched if I had been on the ball for the short time it was nomaintainer :-\

> But the idea that we could add a separate port for an older version of perl if it’s needed is not so simple, because perl is not used in a vacuum; it’s used together with an ecosystem of modules. If we go back to a single version of perl, then we go back to a single version of each module, and it would not be so easy for a user to, say, use perl 5.8 with a particular module. But I don’t know if that’s a common need, and I suspect it may not be, given how mature perl is by now.

It's not a common need to use an older perl. We could probably keep something like the current p5-* port craziness (maybe have everything build with 'current' perl5, but also optionally with any older perls that exist). The (very few) people with a need for older perl could install their own modules (they likely need to keep version locked with those as well, if they're stuck on an older perl) and/or a small number of p5.xx-* ports could be created for any MacPorts ports that require an older perl+some modules.

--
Daniel J. Luke