[112810] trunk/dports/math/octave-devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 14:45:01 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 16:41, Eric Gallager <egall at gwmail.gwu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 1, 2013, at 15:41, michaelld at macports.org wrote:
>>
>> > +        # In 10.8+, the LANG environment variable needs to be set to
>> > +        # "C" otherwise /usr/bin/sed fails with an error, if you
>> > +        # installed gsed with default name this should have no effect.
>>
>> There is no way to install gsed with default name in MacPorts. Years ago there was a variant to do so, but it was removed because using it caused problems for programs that assume “sed” is BSD sed on OS X.

> Yes there is, it just gets put in `/opt/local/libexec/gnubin`, which is not added to PATH by default. This is the same as most other GNU ports.

Right, that’s how it is *now*, after we fixed the problem.

There used to be a variant allowing e.g. GNU sed to be installed in /opt/local/bin/sed which would cause problems so we removed the variant. So the comment in the octave-devel portfile, about installing gsed with default name, is an anachronism.