[112908] trunk/dports/devel

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Nov 7 02:04:46 PST 2013

On 2013-11-05 01:13, Joshua Root wrote:
>> Do you still use this port? There are no dependents, it has not been
>> changed in almost 10 years, upstream is dead. Why do we keep it around?
>
> None of that is grounds for deletion. The question should rather be, why
> delete it?

I rather delete unmaintained ports. If a port is available but does not
build, it's way more frustration for the user as if it's not available
at all.

The time to fix a broken port nobody uses is better invested on
something else. As this port was most probably broken since the
introduction of parallel building but nobody filed a bug, it's a sign
that it has no users.

>> Actually, I am preparing a port for another software called clog [2].
>> I could name it differently, of course, but in this case I doubt anyone
>> else uses the old port...
>
> OK, you didn't mention the name collision in your commit message. One or
> the other (or both) needs to be renamed, obviously. Usually the existing
> port takes precedence, since of course it would be really confusing for
> anyone who did happen to have it installed to upgrade and get completely
> different software.

That's why I would have waited a few weeks to see if someone wants it
back...

Rainer