Questions on dependencies

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Sat Nov 9 08:48:31 PST 2013

> Myth includes Perl and Python bindings that need a number of
> dependencies to work (eg port:${pymodver}-mysql,
> port:${perlmodver}-dbd-mysql, etc).  I have these listed as depends_lib
> but no Myth binaries link directly to them.  Is it advantageous to list
> them instead as depends_run?

The packages aren't guaranteed to be available during build time if it's
only a depends_run. You might need them listed in both depends_build and
depends_run, if the bindings aren't always built.

> egall's script says that Myth does not link directly to
> qt4-mac-${mysqlver}-plugin but does link directly to qt4-mac.  Again,
> are there advantages to showing qt4-mac as a depends_lib but the plugin
> as a depends_run?

Again, qt4-mac should definitely be listed as depends_lib, but the plugin
might need both _run and _build.

Try setting the plugin dependency to _run and deactivate it, then build
and see if your package still uses it. If so, then the plugin isn't needed
during _build. If it doesn't work then you need it in both _build and _run.