Passing '-arch pcc' to gfortran-mp-4.8: unrecognized command line option

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Nov 9 22:16:31 PST 2013

On 2013-11-10 08:27 , Blair Zajac wrote:
> I noticed my PPC MacPorts version was out of date so updated it to
> 2.2.1.  After this, there was an octave-devel update which failed to
> compile while the previous version did.  Looking at config.log, I'm
> seeing this:
>

> configure:33534: checking how to get verbose linking output from
> /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.8
> configure:33544: /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.8 -c -pipe -Os -m32
> conftest.f >&5
> configure:33544: $? = 0
> configure:33562: /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.8 -o conftest -pipe -Os
> -m32 -v -arch ppc conftest.f -lm
> Using built-in specs.
> gfortran-mp-4.8: error: unrecognized command line option '-arch'
> Target: ppc-apple-darwin9
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.8.2 (MacPorts gcc48 4.8.2_0)
>

> Given that 10.5 and PPC is pretty old, is it possible that the updates
> to portconfigure.tcl don't handle PPC as it used to?

If you look in main.log at the environment that's being set when calling
configure you should be able to see whether base is doing anything wrong
there.

It looks more like this configure check is picking up -arch ppc from
somewhere it shouldn't. Maybe CFLAGS, but only if it's also stripping
out duplicate flags like -Os that would be there if it was using e.g.
$F90FLAGS -v $CFLAGS. The -m32 as also seen in the previous line is part
of the correct fortran flags.

- Josh