removing -arch from LDFLAGS

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Nov 11 22:55:53 PST 2013

On 2013-11-12 17:25 , David Strubbe wrote:
> Thanks. This isn't in the guide. Would be helpful to list
> in http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.configure.

Yep.

> I think I should do "configure.ld_archflags " (i.e. set to blank) if the
> compiler is gfortran. When you say "simply clearing it may break the
> port's ability to build for the selected build_arch" are you saying this
> is still not the way to go? If so, what do you suggest? Or did you mean
> clearing LDFLAGS entirely? Or do you mean if I clear it always not just
> when using gfortran?

I'm saying that if the user sets build_arch to i386 in macports.conf,
adding '-arch i386' to LDFLAGS is one of the ways that we tell the build
system to build for i386 and not for (say) x86_64 which is the default
on recent systems. So if you don't do that, you may need to do something
else. I don't know your build system so I don't know what if anything
would be needed.

> Also, why didn't ${configure.args} work?

Referencing an unset variable is an error in Tcl, it's not like sh where
everything unset is an empty string.

- Josh