When do dependencies need a revbump?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 13 07:20:04 PST 2013

On Nov 13, 2013, at 09:06, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I'm preparing an upgrade for wxWidgets (from RC2 to the main release).
>
> How do I know whether or not the dependencies need a revbump?

The main reason would be if a library’s major version number has changed. For example, if the previous version installed libfoo.1.dylib and the new version installs libfoo.2.dylib, then ports using it probably need to be rebuilt. If I suspect that this might happen (the ImageMagick developers love to do this, even in a sub-patch version number increase, in complete disregard of what the various parts of a version number are supposed to mean) then I use “port contents” before upgrading and again after and compare them.

I wouldn’t expect that to be the case here. “RC” means “release candidate”. wxWidgets 3.0.0RC1 was a candidate to be the final release version. They evidently found problems and released a new release candidate 3.0.0RC2. The fact that they’ve now released the final 3.0.0 suggests that no further issues were found and that 3.0.0 is similar to if not identical to 3.0.0RC2.