[113356] trunk/dports/science/erfa/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 14 05:21:07 PST 2013

On Nov 14, 2013, at 06:55, Thomas Robitaille wrote:

> Thanks for making the changes! Just so I understand, this will (after
> the next version) no longer use the official tar file, but instead the
> tar file produced from the git tag? In that case, which checksums
> should I enter next time?

“Releases” is a new github feature that I haven’t yet worked to support in the MacPorts github portgroup; we support tags and downloads. James did some work on supporting releases in r112573 but reverted it in r112592, after I explained that so far I had not seen a particular need to support releases; my understanding was that all releases are tags, but not all tags are releases. As far as I had been able to tell before, both release tarballs and tag tarballs were produced automatically by github from git tags; the only difference seemed to be the name of the enclosing directory in the tarball, which is enough to change the tarball’s checksums.

However, I now see that under the releases tab, for erfa at least, there are multiple downloads for each release: one being the source code, which is what I was aware of previously, and the other is a previously-unknown-to-me download which is the one the erfa port is currently using, and its contents appear to be different, including for example a generated configure script. The erfa source code includes a file called RELEASE.rst which describes their release process, which includes manually uploading a configured tarball to github. Github had previously had a feature called “downloads” which they deprecated and removed; it looks like they either changed their minds or had planned all along to reintroduce that functionality in “releases”.

So it looks like we will actually need to support releases in the github portgroup now to accommodate this new kind of download. Until we do, the master_sites line in the erfa port should stay as it is.