Suggestion for a progress counter for port install/upgrade

MK-MacPorts at techno.ms MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Fri Nov 15 17:49:10 PST 2013

Hi MacPorts core devs,

just now I once again missed a feature I wish was there in MP.

If I install a lot of ports (when I am setting up a machine from scratch, like now) or upgrade an installation which hadn’t been upgraded for a longer time I am overwhelmed by the amount of lines flooding my console…

I would be happy a few additional lines informing me about the progress e.g. like this
—
—>  Installing 193 ports
—>  (1/193) === Port skrooge ===
--->  Fetching skrooge
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for skrooge
--->  Extracting skrooge
--->  Configuring skrooge
--->  Building Scrooge
--->  Staging skrooge into destroot
--->  Deactivating skrooge-devel @0.8.0-1215845_0
--->  Cleaning skrooge-devel
--->  Computing dependencies for skrooge
--->  Installing skrooge @0.8.0.6_0
--->  Activating skrooge @0.8.0.6_0
--->  Cleaning scrooge
—>  (2/193) === Port blablah ===
--->  Fetching blablah
.
.
.
—
where of course to be installed dependencies would also count.

Objections?

Greets,
Marko