Mavericks java recipe?

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sat Nov 16 15:15:48 PST 2013

On Nov 16, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Christoph Iserlohn <ciserlohn at macports.org> wrote:

> Am 16.11.13 22:46, schrieb Ryan Schmidt:
>> On Nov 15, 2013, at 14:04, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>
>>> Before I do more work on #41378, I figured that I'd ask and see if anyone has worked up a nice recipe for detecting a java install on Mavericks yet?
>>>
>>> I'd like the subversion-javahlbindings port to be able to warn people and exit early if the appropriate java bits aren't present and I imagine other ports might want the same thing (possibly a candidate for a portgroup, too).
>> We already have a java portgroup… is that for this, or for something else?
>>
> Currently the java portgroup just tries various methods to find a JAVA_HOME and
> set it for configure.env, build.env and destroot.env.
> It does not detect if a JRE or JDK is installed nor does it exit if it can't
> find a suitable JAVA_HOME.

The java port group could stand to be enhanced. Among its lesser sins, it looks repeated for JAVA_HOME rather than looking once and caching that result. In any event, I think this code would be a place to start for enhancement: it’s so simplistic now that there shouldn’t be too much risk of breaking ports that use it.

James