10.9 and compiler

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 17 13:54:07 PST 2013

>>> Can we not use blacklists on 10.9?  Do we need to always use clang?  Or is that only for C++ code that we have to use clang?
>>
>> On 10.9, clang is the only system compiler. So for OSX 10.9, you need to use clang, for C C++, Obj-C etc.
>
> Thanks.  Technically, one could use gcc for C code, since it doesn’t link against any C++ runtime???

the system ‘gcc’ on OSX 10.9 is actually clang…

MacBookPro ~ > /usr/bin/gcc -v
Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 5.0 (clang-500.2.79) (based on LLVM 3.3svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0
Thread model: posix

clang is the *only* system compiler. You could install one of macports gcc ports, and use that, but really its a much better option to get upstream to probably support clang...

Chris