10.9 and compiler

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 17 14:20:30 PST 2013

On Nov 17, 2013, at 16:15, Blair Zajac wrote:

>> compiler.blacklist should work the same on 10.9 as it does on other systems.
>>

>>> I got it.  I assumed the other compilers were still there.  Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>> gcc was removed from Xcode in 4.2, leaving llvm-gcc and clang. llvm-gcc was removed in 5.0, leaving only clang.
>
> So in practice, so there shouldn’t be any blacklists since we only have one compiler ;)  That is, unless a port uses a MacPorts compiler, like fortran.

In practice, you use compiler.blacklist if a port will not build with a particular compiler. MacPorts runs on Tiger and later, which covers a vast array of different compilers, not all of which will work for all ports.

For example, if a port builds with clang on any OS version but not with llvm-gcc42 on those OS versions where llvm-gcc42 is provided, you would write:

compiler.blacklist *llvm-gcc42

(The * would also match macports-llvm-gcc42)

If a port builds with the clang from Xcode 5 but not with earlier versions of clang, you could write:

PortGroup compiler_blacklist_versions 1.0
compiler.blacklist {clang < 500} macports-clang-3.2 macports-clang-3.1 macports-clang-3.0 macports-clang-2.9