Octave Transition

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 18 11:24:31 PST 2013

On Nov 18, 2013, at 12:18, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2013-11-18 15:12, Michael Dickens wrote:
>> I'm almost to the point of making the "Octave transition":
>
> Thank you for working on this.
>
>> 1) moving "octave-devel" (3.6.4) to "octave" (was 3.2.4);
>>
>> 2) making "octave-devel" replaced by octave temporarily, to get folks
>> currently using octave-devel to move to octave;
>>
>> 3) adding "octave-next" for the current 3.7.7 release (yes: it works
>> just fine for me on 10.8 and 10.9);
>
> Why do you want to introduce the new octave-current port? Shouldn't
> users of octave-devel be aware that they are using a development release?

I imagine many users are using octave-devel right now, not because they want a development version, but because they want any version that works. The octave port has been neglected for a long time, it does not build on current OS X, and users have long been referred to octave-devel, which currently contains version 3.6.x, which is the latest stable version of octave. After updating octave to 3.6.x, marking octave-devel replaced_by octave for a time will help those users return to the stable port.

I’m not sure I’d recommend adding a new octave-next port. That naming is nonstandard. Instead, can’t we just wait awhile, then update octave-devel to 3.7.x?