How is build.env supposed to work ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 19 10:08:00 PST 2013

On Nov 19, 2013, at 11:50, Peter Danecek wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2013, at 18:38 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 19, 2013, at 10:49, Peter Danecek wrote:
>>
>>> So am I right if I assume that some of the environment variables are reset to a different value, AFTER I try to set them and before build?
>>
>> There are a small number of variables that MacPorts puts into the environment of each phase, regardless of the value of $phase.env, including CC_PRINT_OPTIONS, CC_PRINT_OPTIONS_FILE, CPATH, LIBRARY_PATH, and MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET. The first two cannot be changed; the others can be changed by setting the options compiler.cpath, compiler.library_path and macosx_deployment_target, respectively.
>>

> Thanks Josh & Ryan!
>
> This were the details I was looking for. I have not found it mentioned in the Guide. This is not there, right? Shouldn't we add it?

configure.macosx_deployment_target is mentioned, but is obsolete (was removed in MacPorts 1.6.0); the option is currently called macosx_deployment_target; this should be fixed. I see no mention of configure.cpath or configure.library_path in the guide; they should probably be added, with a comment to the effect that most ports ports probably never need to change their values. There’s probably no need to mention CC_PRINT_OPTIONS or CC_PRINT_OPTIONS_FILE.

Anyone may edit the guide XML files and submit a patch in a ticket in the issue tracker.