Vote: mysql5 replaced_by ?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Nov 20 11:30:09 PST 2013

At 11:02 AM -0800 11/20/13, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>On Nov 19, 2013, at 4:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>>  mysql5 is 5.1, so really the only option is to replace it with mysql51.
>>
>>  Agreed because the whole reason why we have separate ports for
>>different versions of database servers is so that users can do it
>>at a time of their choosing, since doing so may necessitate
>>upgrading the database structure and/or changing the user's code
>>which uses the database.
>
>Ok, just to be clear, replacing mysql5 with mysql51 will likely
>require users to move there database files and config files.

I was going to stay out of this, but...

If mysql5 is going away and work has to be done to affect the change,
it makes no sense to me to _not_ go with a 5.5 or even 5.6 version
(be that MySQL or Maria).

Could we not find a way to have a 'mysql-current*'?  There have got
to be a number of ports that currently depend on MySQL but have no
fundamental problem with newer versions.  (My mythtv-core.xx ports
fall in that group.)  The mysql-current port would just provide a way
of finding the version-specific binaries and libraries.
mysql-current might point to mysql55 right now and later be updated
to maria56, or whatever, while being as transparent as possible.

I think the current situation with mysql-compatible databases is a
support nightmare.  For my ports, I want/need to give users
cookbook-style instructions for installing Myth.  They have to do 6
steps to install, initialize, load and prep the database.  If I were
to support mysql, maria and percona, those instructions would be
oh-so-subtly-different for each variant.  Already, I get quite a few
questions where folks mucked up or missed a step.  I don't want to
compound those issues several-fold!

Craig

*Yes, bad name.  Could be 'mysql-stable', 'mysql-blessed',
'mysql-with-a-bullet', ...  ;)