[114090] trunk/dports/net/fwknop-client

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 29 00:24:43 PST 2013

On Nov 29, 2013, at 02:14, Blair Zajac wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2013, at 12:13 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 28, 2013, at 16:32, blair at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> Revision
>>> 114090
>>> Author
>>> blair at macports.org
>>> Date
>>> 2013-11-28 14:32:28 -0800 (Thu, 28 Nov 2013)
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> fwknop-client: new upstream 2.5.1.1 release pulled from github.com
>>> .
>>
>> Consider using the github port group.
>
> It was easier doing this then figuring out what the port group does.  What does it get me?

It gets you simplicity. The portgroup takes care of the details of fetching a tarball from a github tag, so that you don’t have to duplicate statements that are common to all projects fetching from github. See the attached patch. Also, should github ever change their infrastructure, we could ideally adapt to it in a single place, instead of having to touch hundreds of individual portfiles.

However, you were fetching from the “archive” url, whereas the portgroup uses the “tarball” url. Although the two urls give tarballs with the same file contents, the enclosing directory name is different, and therefore so are the tarballs’ checksums, therefore to avoid our servers mirroring essentially the same file twice, you should wait to make this change until you update the port to the next version.