variants the second ...

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Thu Oct 3 12:02:30 PDT 2013

On Oct 3, 2013, at 20:27 , Peter Danecek <Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it> wrote:

> I reply to this on my own!
>
> On Oct 3, 2013, at 20:22 , Peter Danecek <Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it> wrote:
>

>> Okay, I hope that's it then with variants.
>>
>> I have one variant (+gsi for GSI authentication) I do not want to make default. However, if this is activated, I would like to an other variant to come with it, ( i.e. +ca-bundle, a bundle with CA certificates), so that the user would get a working environment. To achieve this I could use the requires option.
>>
>> Now I could imagine, however that user would like manage his CAs in an individual way (using a different set of certificates, allow only a small subset, etc.) so it should be possible to disable the ca-bundle.
>>
>> I see no way to achieve this. Something like +gsi -ca-bundle would still yield +gsi +ca-bundle (due to the requires option). And updating default_variants would not work either, as this needs to be evaluated in and earlier stage, right?
>
> This second possibility seems actually to work. I just need to change the name ca-bundle to something else.

Okay, at the end this does not work as well. I was fooled by the output of port info, which seemed correct. See below:

petr% port info irods
irods @3.3 (net, science)
Sub-ports:            irods-doc, irods-client-icmds, irods-client-fuse
Variants:             ca_bundle, gsi, [+]unicode

petr% port info irods +gsi
irods @3.3 (net, science)
Sub-ports:            irods-doc, irods-client-icmds, irods-client-fuse
Variants:             [+]ca_bundle, +gsi, [+]unicode

petr% port info irods +gsi -ca_bundle
irods @3.3 (net, science)
Sub-ports:            irods-doc, irods-client-icmds, irods-client-fuse
Variants:             -ca_bundle, +gsi, [+]unicode

So this looks correct.

But installing irods +gsi would give the following so the updated default would not be considered.

petr% port installed "irods*"
  irods @3.3_0+gsi+unicode (active)
  irods-client-fuse @3.3_0+gsi+unicode (active)
  irods-client-icmds @3.3_0+gsi+unicode (active)
  irods-doc @3.3_0 (active)

Any chance to get consistent behaviour there?
~petr