Should I increase revision?

Davide Liessi davide.liessi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 13:46:08 PDT 2013

Dear MacPorts developers,

from http://guide.macports.org/#reference.keywords :
> revision
>
> Optional keyword (default is 0) that is used to track port revisions. It should not be incremented for port revisions unless it would benefit users to upgrade an installed port, and cleared when the port is updated to a newer version.
>
> It should be used if a bug in the Portfile was found and all installations of this port have to be updated. If the change only affects new installations, there is no need to increase it.

I changed a Portfile to copy some documentation files in the
directories requested by porthier(7).

Is this considered a bug correction in the Portfile (and so should I
increase the revision number), or is it a change that would benefit
only new installations (and so should I leave the revision number
untouched)?

Best wishes.
Davide Liessi