[MacPorts] #39327: New portfile for ITSOL: ITerative linear SOLvers

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue Oct 8 18:14:46 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 01:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> What is preventing the octave port from being updated to 3.6?

Time.  Money.  Motivation.  Need.  Who knows what else?  Actually, one
of the issues is with the octave-* ports: Do we even need them any more?
 They are really designed for the 3.2 series; maybe they worked with
3.4, but it's hard to imagine them working with 3.6 or the forthcoming
3.7.  A while back, I tried installing a few with octave-devel; some
installed while others did not. It was never clear to me that those I
installed actually did anything more than that provided by Octave
itself, but since I've never used them that's probably par for the
course.  IMHO, "caveat emptor" is appropriate when using those octave-*
ports with octave-devel.  So, shifting octave-devel to octave will
likely cause some confusion amongst Octave users if the octave-* ports
are not dealt with at the same time.  Which means more time up front;
which is something I just do not have right now as part of my "pro bono"
workload. - MLD