[112183] trunk/base/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Oct 15 08:36:04 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-16 02:21 , James Berry wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:
>> On Oct 15, 2013, at 3:36, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>>> The question would be whether we want macosx_version to story "10.X"
>>> only as it did before or fix the comparisons to use version comparison.
>>
>> We should fix the comparisons.
>>
>>> Writing this condition as
>>> [vercmp $macosx_version 10.5] >= 0 && [vercmp $macosx_version 10.6] < 0
>>> seems a bit cumbersome.
>>
>> Cumbersome yet correct.
>
> Maybe we just need to add a new version comparison verb, like vercmp_major_minor that compares only the major and minor segments of the version.This would accomplish both goals I think: simplify the version comparison while still allowing us to keep the full version around for “correctness”.

It's not a matter of "correct" or "incorrect", we get to define what the
variable should mean. I can only guess that Jeremy thinks it should
contain the full version by analogy with os.version? If that's the case,
then we could add a new variable analogous to os.major that works just
like macosx_version does now and can be directly compared for equality
(and used in all the places that macosx_version currently is). Or we
could not break compatibility with everything that uses macosx_version
and add a new variable that contains the full OS X version.

- Josh