where to put examples?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Thu Oct 17 10:04:30 PDT 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Peter Danecek <Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it> wrote:

> So now my questions:
> - Are there any guidelines on where to place documentations and examples?
> - Which would be the correct pattern?
> - Does the cited PortGroup Sugar make sense at all?
> - Wouldn't it make sense to providing variables destroot.doc and destroot.examples (or destroot.dir_doc and destroot.dir_examples, or similar) to provide the correct location?

I frankly don't think this is worth spending much time thinking about. There's so much variation in where software installs documentation that it would be a losing battle to try to impose some sort of "correct" hierarchy.

Personally, if I have to manually install documentation anyway ("xinstall" or "copy"), I use ${prefix}/share/doc/${subport}. (I don't remember where I've put examples.)

But if a particular build system does something else, I don't bother "fixing" it beyond making sure it puts everything under ${prefix}/share.

vq