Recommended permissions and ownership of Subversion checkout of dports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 18 21:33:00 PDT 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 23:45, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 9:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Surely the macports user needs write permission to change things when running "sudo port sync"?
>
> Is there a particular reason you need to run "sudo port sync"? I just run "port sync" on my system, and everything works fine. (I own my Subversion checkout.)

I hadn't considered that. I could try that. Using selfupdate would presumably still break things, but I usually build from trunk anyway so perhaps I should just avoid selfupdate entirely.

On Oct 18, 2013, at 03:24, Chris Jones wrote:

> why not just update your sudoers permissions file, to allow your main account to run the port command as root, without requiring a password (or just give it a longer timeout, which would be my preferred way) ? Seems easier than faffing with file permissions ..

I could, but it would still necessitate typing "sudo" all the time, and I don't think it would help prevent my text editor (textmate2) from constantly prompting me for an administrator password to write to portfiles and such.