clang-3.2 and earlier on Mavericks

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Oct 24 00:35:53 PDT 2013

On Oct 24, 2013, at 0:19, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2013, at 02:09, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>
>> Using OSS versions of clang doesn't really simulate older Xcode clang versions.
>
> I realize they are not identical but I have successfully used this technique multiple times to reproduce issues users experienced with older versions of Xcode clang and to develop fixes.
>

> Also I would like for llvm-3.2 to exist on Mavericks because my port pure requires it; pure does not work properly on OS X when using llvm-3.3 and after discussion with the developer we decided to leave MacPorts pure at llvm-3.2.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/pure-lang/pure-gen/pure-lang/JelRk7YHEug/upS-XGboNT8J
>
> In the last message of the thread, the developer of pure declared this to be “a genuine incompatibility between the x86 assembler backend in LLVM 3.3 and at least some Xcode versions, and no fix is known right now.”

And without any radar of bug report at llvm.org (at least not any referenced in that thread), it's quite unlikely that any progress would ever be made on fixing such a bug...

Could you followup with that thread to see if the pure developer ever got around to reporting this "genuine incompatibility between the x86 assembler backend in LLVM 3.3 and at least some Xcode versions"

And I'll see about backporting the 10.9 deployment target patches to 3.2 when I get some cycles next week.  I think the main issue is just the switch to libc++ default.

--Jeremy