[112484] trunk/dports/devel/libsdl2/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 24 09:59:24 PDT 2013

On Oct 24, 2013, at 11:57, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2013-10-25 03:00 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 24, 2013, at 08:08, jmr at macports.org wrote:
>>
>>> Revision
>>> 112484
>>> Author
>>> jmr at macports.org
>>> Date
>>> 2013-10-24 06:08:55 -0700 (Thu, 24 Oct 2013)
>>> Log Message
>>>
>>> libsdl2: update to 2.0.1
>>
>> libsdl2 replaces libsdl-devel, doesn’t it?
>
> Sort of. The next major release of SDL was originally going to be 1.3,
> and be compatible with 1.2. The compatibility was eventually abandoned,
> and the release was called 2.0. I'm not sure where libsdl-devel fits
> along this timeline. Probably not much point keeping it around in any case.

Right. I believe the version of libsdl-devel we have now is a) old and b) not compatible with libsdl.

> On another point related to this, someone apparently went through and
> changed most of the port:libsdl dependencies to
> path:lib/pkgconfig/sdl.pc:libsdl without checking if the ports worked
> with libsdl-devel as well as libsdl. It's likely many of them should be
> changed back.

Right. They were changed because that’s the promise of the “*-devel” naming: that it’s compatible with the original “*” port. Since that compatibility doesn’t exist anymore and the port will be deleted, the dependencies can be changed back.