"Can't find Tcl configuration definitions": better solution?

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Mon Oct 28 17:40:15 PDT 2013

On Oct 28, 2013, at 5:34 PM, James Berry <jberry at macports.org> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2013, at 5:12 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> In article <A4BC8B94-E300-4D96-BE95-889180C3389E at macports.org>,
>> Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>> If you do that, make sure you only print that on Mavericks and later, since
>>> on earlier OS versions tclConfig.sh is not part of the command line tools and
>>> it should already be there out of the box.
>>
>> AFAIK, (and I just checked on a vanilla 10.8.5 system that has never had the
>> CLT installed), tclConfig.sh is *not* present in /System/Library/Frameworks
>> until you install the CLT.  That is not a change in Mavericks.  What is a
>> change in Mavericks is "xcode-select --install" vs installing via Xcode
>> Preferences.  The "--install" option is not available in earlier releases,
>> even on 10.8 with Xcode 5 installed.
>
> The other thing that is different is that under Mavericks, there are tool shims that will thunk the compilers, etc, into versions in Xcode. So with Mavericks, the MacPorts source install will get a lot further that it would have previously (assuming Xcode has been install)… because the tools available under Xcode are used, and things don’t go bad until it tries to find something (tcl config, in this case), that would be installed by the Command Line Tools, but isn’t available thourgh the shims that provide functionality through Xcode.
>
> Note that in the same situation, if Xcode hadn’t yet been installed, the Xcode/CLT install dialog would have been invoked when the shims were first exercised by trying to access clang, or whatever.

So actually looking for something like tclConfig.sh that is installed by CLT, is probably sufficient, Mavericks or earlier, to complain: you need to install the Command Line Tools. Though on somewhat older Xcode’s that requirement might have been served by installing Xcode itself, not the CLT.

James