TextMate2 on Lion

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Oct 29 12:52:49 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:51:09PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> # clang 3.2 - clang-3.4 and all clangs from Xcode < 5 crash while > compiling this.

This is empirical data – I actually tried this and it crashes somewhere
in llvm. I should probably have reported this to the llvm developers,
but had no time to do so (and since Xcode 5's clang works, I suppose the
bug is also already fixed).

> First of all, blacklisting all gcc compilers seems wrong (while it is
> true that they might not be particularly useful for the reasons of
> mixing C++ runtimes that you mentioned, gcc 4.7 seems to work OK, and
> probably all later versions do as well). It is true that
> -stdlib=libc++ doesn't seem to work with gcc though, so the Portfile
> would need some slight modifications if gcc was allowed.

I added capnproto as a dependency for textmate2 – if you succeed in
compiling capnproto with gcc, the resulting library would still be
useless to you and not get you any closer to the goal of getting
textmate2. I think the blacklist is thus correct.

>     http://kentonv.github.io/capnproto/install.html#clang_32_on_mac_osx

The website talks about the binary of clang 3.2 available from the clang
developers, which supposedly (I didn't test _that_) works. clang 3.2
from MacPorts, however, does not.

> Exactly. There is no single compiler left for Lion to use.

I am aware of that, and MacPorts does not have one (besides gcc, which
cannot be used for the purpose of building a capnproto compatible with
textmate2 due to the stdlib mismatch). Compiling textmate2 with GCC is
not an option either.

> So we need to figure out why MacPorts clang 3.3 or 3.4 is not
> acceptable and make it acceptable.

Exactly.

--
Clemens Lang