Maverics/Xcode 5 proposal: no more xcode-select --install

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Oct 30 08:02:40 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-29 23:34, Ned Deily wrote:
> In article <50AC6A3D-A11C-4215-AD99-A4B61312F8E0 at angellane.org>,
>  Paul Bennett <t21 at angellane.org> wrote:
>
>> Is 'xcode-select --install' really necessary on Mavericks?
>>
>> I propose that it isn't, and we should consider a port that fails to build
>> without as a bug.

Well, after thinking about this again, we could also do it the other way
around. The majority of ports already builds just fine if you have the
Command Line Tools only, without Xcode (ignore warnings from base about
missing xcodebuild, it's not actually required in this case).

That would allow to save the additional installation of Xcode.app and
only require `xcode-select --install`. However, with only ~2.5 GiB, the
reduced disk usage without Xcode.app is quite small compared to the
increasing drive capacities.

For this variant we would first need to track which parts of Xcode and
which SDKs are actually required for each port. This information could
however also be relevant for sandboxing/trace mode. Maybe we could add
some new depspec to base to mark ports that require the full Xcode
installation, something like:   depends_build tool:xcode

Rainer